Popular Posts

Thursday, July 9, 2009

iPod Oblivion = Gospel Oblivion?


I know, but this is still about Christians and music!

On Tuesday, I spent some time mowing the lawn. To make this unenviable task slightly more bearable, I took out my tiny (PRODUCT)RED iPod shuffle (social action at work here) that my lovely wife gave me as a graduation present, with our names laser-engraved on the back. I stuck the little white buds in my ears and I was in a happy place - shuffling through Velvet Revolver, Dido, Ben Harper, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Feist, Pearl Jam, Regina Spektor, The Fray...

I was in a state known commonly as iPod Oblivion. In New York City, legislation is under review that will make it illegal to use an iPod while crossing city streets. In 2007, two people were killed in Brooklyn and Manhattan after failing to notice cars bearing down on them as they crossed streets. In one instance, bystanders even screamed for the victim to "Watch out!", but she didn't hear.

But what if the little world I retreat into with my iPod wasn't just affecting my own safety, but that of others? As I mowed my lawn on that Tuesday, it drew nearer to 5 o' clock. I live in a complex, and that is just about the only time when you see people outside of their little boxes and on the streets and lawns of the complex. There are people getting out of the car to open the garage door, people taking the kids or the dogs for walks, people going on their after work run, people in their gardens spending some time in the green after working in the grey. What a wonderful opportunity to meet people and chat - and even try to have Gospel Conversations! Instead, the only contact I had really was the sight of some limply raised hands of greeting.

But here's the Christian with his loud lawn mower, bright white ear-buds firmly in his ears, and admittedly, not very approachable. It is probably quite an antisocial sight. But in this window of opportunity, I should be the one saying "Watch out!" to the unsuspecting victims of God's wrath. My iPod oblivion is nothing compared to their 'Christ Oblivion'.

As ambassadors for Christ, as those who have God's light in our hearts as treasures in jars of clay (2 Cor 4), as those whom God has chosen, we should be making the most of every opportunity. Whenever we are around other people, there is always the opportunity to chat and tell someone about Jesus.

When you are in the garden, out for a run, on the train or the bus or the taxi, at the gym, think twice about what opportunities you may have for the gospel, and don't put things in the way of that - because it really is the reason we're still here.

As for me, I'm going to mow the front lawn open-eared from now on, ready at every moment to switch off the motor and pass the time of day with my neighbours, get to know them and maybe even ask, "What church do you go to?"

1 comment:

  1. very good observation... I never thought about that!

    ReplyDelete